It’s the season for comfort food, and David Hobbs Honda has you covered with this month’s featured recipe: a rich and cheesy flan flecked with perfectly sautéed onions and nestled atop a buttery, flaky pastry crust. If that sounds like your idea of heaven, then you’ll definitely want to give this dish a try. There are a few steps involved, but your work in the kitchen will result in raves around the table.
What You’ll Need
For the Pastry:
7 oz. / 200g all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
4 oz. / 110g butter, cubed
2 to 3 Tbsp. very cold water
For the Filling:
1/4 cup / 55g butter
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil or sunflower oil
1 large yellow onion, peeled, finely sliced
3 to 4 large eggs
1 cup / 2 ml. milk
3 oz. / 75g cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
2 to 3 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Make the Flan
- Place flour, pinch of salt, and butter in a large mixing bowl. Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles sand.
- Add the water a little at a time and bring the mixture together to create a soft dough.
- Leave the pastry to rest, wrapped in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While the pastry rests, prepare the filling.
- Heat the butter and oil in a saucepan. Once butter is melted, add the sliced onion and cook over medium heat to soften (but not brown) the onions. Place the softened onions onto a dinner plate and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F / 204 degrees C.
- Roll the pastry to 5-millimeter thickness and line a greased, 10-inch, loose-bottomed tart tin. Chill in the refrigerator while you finish making the filling.
- Put the eggs into a large measuring jug. Add the cooled onions, grated cheese, parsley, and milk. Season with a little salt and black pepper.
- Pour filling mixture over prepared pastry in tart tin. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and set, but not solid, when gently pressed in the center.
- Remove flan from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
You might also like: Family-Friendly Museums Near Glendale
Delicious Savings at David Hobbs Honda
As tasty as this flan is, the tantalizing specials and deals you’ll claim when you shop David Hobbs Honda are even better. We invite you to stop by our conveniently located Glendale, WI, dealership when you’re ready to find your ultimate new or used vehicle for a price you won’t want to resist.